We focus on small group activities that support children to learn to share, take turns, listen, and wait.
There are table top activities and floor-based ones ready every day for when they children arrive. We try to change activities/ sources/ toys a few times a week to keep children interested. There are collections of vehicles, animals, and other objects for small world role play as well as a role play area that might change from a homely kitchen to a hospital or shop. We also provide lots of sensory experience, like playdough, rice, pasta, etc. These activities support children’s understanding of size, weight, capacity, and numbers as adults introduce these concepts into this play.
We give the children the opportunity to be creative by supplying pens, paint, crayons etc. but also through having activities that involve dancing or movement to music.
There is time outside every day in our garden. Pips children enjoy using bikes and scooters, they start to play ball games, kicking, throwing and catching, small circle games. We also draw attention to the features of the natural world, grow plants together, and investigate the mini-beasts and animals we come across. We provide, sand, water, mud play, and other types of sensory play. There are large blocks to build with, platforms to climb on perfect for developing gross motor skills. We are able to use the other classes’ playgrounds from time to time, which gives children great opportunity to play with different outdoor equipment.
On some occasions we will take the children for a walk to our lovely open spaced field and park that is in walking distance from the school.
Below is an example of our daily routine for our Pips room, however, we are extremely flexible and cater for children on a day to day basis, lots of our activities are child-led so may change throughout the day.
In Pips you will find Mrs Koczorowska and Mrs Baughan. In Pips we encourage independence by getting the children to try and do own shoes and coats, washing own hands, tidy up etc.
Typical Daily Routine of Pips
- 8:45 – Children arrive, hang their belongings on their own pegs, choose their nameplate, and hang it up the wall, this is also the time where parents and staff can talk and catch up if need be.
- 9:00 - 9:30 free play while we play with the children observe them.
- 9:30 – 9:45 am – tidy up time group Circle time (reading a story of the week/singing)
- 9:45 - 10:00 am – Free play / planned activities (observing children, care routines).
- 10:00 - 10:15 am – Snack time.
- 10:15 – 11:00pm – Planned activities.
- 11:00 - 11:30 - outdoor play.
- 11:30 – 12:00pm - Lunch.
- 12:00 – 1:30pm – sleep time for children that still have a sleep in the day
Quiet activities for the children that do not have a sleep
- 1:30 – 2:15 pm – Planned activities (Care routines)
- 2:15 - 2:45 Group Circle time (story time/singing).
- 2:45-3:00 getting ready for home